Lead Writer - Niigata
We are looking for a Lead Writer, with a good sense of what makes an interesting angle to a story, to juggle all the moving parts of publications. You will plan, coordinate, write, review and edit content (e.g. travel writing, PR coverage, interviews of local communities, copywriting for website, catchy SNS captions, etc.) The successful candidate will be able to decide which ideas should be pursued and which should get dropped in order to meet quality and accuracy standards. The goal is to provide exceptional, informative and engaging content for both web and social media platforms such as Instagram and Facebook to grow our audiences organically. You will be working with other content creators and will be primarily responsible for ensuring that our quality standards are consistent across all channels.
Discover Deep Japan is a social startup with a mission to build a more inclusive world. Our multicultural team revitalises rural communities through destination development/marketing and product marketing in foreign languages, making communities and local culture (products) more accessible and inclusive for people with diverse backgrounds.
- Coordinate online publishing cycle and manage content areas
- Set publication standards and establish goals and expectations
- Suggest stories and generate headline ideas in alignment with targeted audience’s preferences
- Oversee layout (artwork, design, photography) and check content for accuracy and errors
- Write, edit, proofread and improve stories or pieces
- Cooperate and liaise with designers, photographers, marketers, other writers, etc
- Comply with media law and ethical guidelines
- Meet deadlines
- Any other tasks related to DDJ’s work.
The ideal candidate we are looking for possesses the following traits and experiences:
- Proven working experience as an Editor/Writer
- Strong writing/editing/proofreading skills and an excellent portfolio
- Proven familiarity with SEO and social media best practices
- Excellent written skills in English
- An eye for detail along with critical thinking
- Prioritizing and multitasking
- Demonstrated adaptability in a fast-paced environment
- Passion for building a more inclusive world
- English: Fluent – you will be working with and managing a multicultural team with English as the primary communication language (Japanese not required but an asset).
- We are looking for a fulltime candidate, however a part-time/remote a few days a week arrangement is a possibility for highly skilled individuals.
You can expect:
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment
- Work-life balance with flexible hours and leave
- A place to look at things differently and challenge and offer solutions
Remuneration and benefits:
- First-year remuneration: 2.6 – 5 million yen per year (hourly rate 1700 – 3300 yen) – based on your skills, experience, and performance.
- 32-hour work weeks and flexible working (173 days off + annual leave).
- Up to 2.1 years of paid parental leave.
- Up to 14 days of paid medical leave.
- Discover Deep Japan will provide a shared company car.
- Discover Deep Japan will provide you with a computer to be used for your work-related activities.
- You will be enrolled into health insurance, pension, and employment insurance schemes.
- Visa sponsorship.
Location: Our office in Yuzawa, Niigata
To apply, send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: “Application – Lead Writer Niigata – Your Name”
- Letter of motivation in English
- Resume in English (please remove ID photos)
Application Period – Until 7 March 2021