Tourism Marketer -Asakura
Discover Deep Japan is a social startup that creates professional job opportunities for refugees and migrants by connecting their talent with the demand of depopulated rural towns in Japan; revitalizing the communities through tourism marketing.
We envision a society where minorities can be proud of their diverse backgrounds and circumstances; a world where refugees can rebuild their lives while contributing to local communities.
What we look for – We’re looking for three Tourism Marketers with strong language skills to join Discover Deep Japan based in Asakura. Discover Deep Japan will work closely with Asakura City Hall, Asakura City Tourist Association, and Harazuru Onsen Tourist Association.
Key Purpose of the Role
As a Tourism Marketer, you will be responsible for ensuring that Asakura is promoted effectively through destination development, destination marketing and visitor servicing. Your objective is to increase the number of tourists, especially foreign tourists, visiting Asakura.
- Support the Discover Deep Japan team working with Asakura City and other players to develop strategies, programs, and policies to promote tourism.
- Develop community and regional networks to spread understanding of the benefits of tourism and support destination marketing programs.
- Conduct research on the needs of tourists and analyse research findings to inform destination development and marketing planning.
- Market and promote Asakura to increase the number of visitors by effectively using digital marketing tools such as SNS, blogs, etc.
- Implement promotion plans by coordinating with travel agencies and media.
- Develop and deliver travel products (e.g. tours) for foreign visitors
- Execute plans to improve foreign tourists’ satisfaction by building the capacity (e.g. multilingual services) of Asakura City and local tourism businesses to cater for foreign visitors’ needs.
- Provide information and conduct interview with foreign tourists who visit the tourist information centre.
- Attend and support domestic and foreign agents visiting Asakura
- Research and plan methods for the effective protection of the cultural assets in Asakura and its touristic resources.
- Any other activities related to Discover Deep Japan’s work
What you can expect:
- A bilingual (Japanese-English) coordinator will be based in Asakura, who will assist you with housing, your children’s school/child care, Japanese classes, driving lessons, and other day-to-day life matters
- An opportunity to continuously improve your Japanese language skills (Free Japanese classes, and opportunities for language exchange, and discounts with local Japanese schools/teachers)
- A supportive, trusting and transparent working environment
- A place to look at things differently and challenge and offer solutions
- An opportunity to deliver high-performing marketing activities
- An opportunity to actively drive change in a fast paced, thriving and growing, unique culture
- A place where you can relish in your passion and enthusiasm for the tourism industry
- An environment of continuous improvement where you optimise for impact and velocity
Skills and Experience:
- Proficiency in one of the following languages: English, French, Spanish, Korean, and Chinese (other languages a plus).
- Basic Japanese language skill preferred.
- Driver’s Licence (Japanese or International) preferred.
- You are willing to move to Asakura.
Working Conditions and Benefits
Employment Contract Period:
- You will conclude an employment contract with Discover Deep Japan.
- You have a trial period for 3 months.
- Activities outside your working hours may be allowed if no conflicts occur with your job in Asakura (report and permission are required.)
Remuneration and benefits:
- Remuneration: 1250 yen〜 per hour (based on your skills, experience, and performance), 8 hours per day – 200,000 yen per month
- Bonus provided based on your performance and certificates
- Accommodation: Company accommodation provided
- Discover Deep Japan will provide a car
- Discover Deep Japan will provide you with a computer to be used for your work-related activities.
- You will be enrolled into health insurance, pension, and employment insurance schemes.
- Free Japanese classes and other opportunities to develop your skills.
- Annual leave according to Japanese law.
- Visa sponsorship.
Application and Selection Process
Application Period – Until 31 May 2020 (Aim to start working on 1 August 2020)
Documents to be submitted – please submit the following documents to email@example.com with the subject line: “Application – Tourism Marketer Asakura– Your Name”
- Letter of motivation in English
- CV in English
- Copy of your passport
- Copy of your Residency Card (在留カード) and work permit
- Review of submitted documents: Selected candidates from the first screening will be contacted for an interview and written exams. The results of the first screening will be notified via email.
- Interview and written exams in Tokyo Metropolitan Area: we will conduct an interview and written exams in Tokyo Metropolitan Area. If the interview cannot be organised in Tokyo, it can be conducted via Zoom. The results of the second screening will be notified via email. Transportation expenses will not be covered.
- Final interview and 3-day internship in Asakura (June-July 2020): You will undertake a three-day internship in Asakura, followed by a final interview. The results of the final screening will be notified in writing. Transportation expenses from Tokyo to Asakura as well as accommodation will be covered.